Following disbandment he emigrated to Canada where he joined the chartered accountancy firm of Clarkson, Gordon, Dilworth and Nash. An able and astute businessman and public servant, during World War II he was president of War Supplies Ltd. 1941-1944, and president of Victory Aircraft 1944-1945. In recognition of his wartime contribution Scully was made companion of St. Michael and St. George in 1946 and awarded the United States Medal of Freedom with palm in 1947.
Mr. Scully was Vice-President, National Research Council from 1945-1947 and deputy minister of Reconstruction and Supply, 1945-1948 and of National Revenue, 1948-1951. He then took a senior post at the Steel Company of Canada Limited, retiring as chairman in 1971.
See: Canadian Who's Who, Vol. XII, 1970-1972, p. 1000.
The V W Scully
The Don-De-Dieu, a straight deck bulk carrier on the Great Lakes, was built in Montreal in 1965 sailed in the grain and iron ore trades. In 1967, the vessel was acquired by Labrador Steamship Co. Ltd (Sutcliffe Shipping Co., operating agents), Montreal, QC. The vessel was renamed V. W. Scully in 1967 in honor of Mr. Vincent William Scully who was at the time Chairman of the Board and CEO of the Steel Co. of Canada, Hamilton, ON (Stelco). The V. W. Scully’s activities continued in the iron ore and grain trades; particularly in taking Labrador iron ore through ports such as Port Cartier and Pointe Noire, QC for delivery to U.S. blast furnaces along Lake Erie and Lake Michigan.
On April 1, 1971; the V. W. Scully was acquired by Diamond Shamrock Canada Ltd. (Algoma Central Marine, managers), Sault Ste. Marie, ON becoming the last steamship to enter service under the Algoma banner. Ownership of the vessel was transferred directly to Algoma Central in 1973. Again, the vessel continued in the grain and iron ore trades with the change being in the destination for the iron ore cargoes shifting primarily to Canadian ports such as Hamilton, ON. The V. W. Scully was the lakeboat chosen to depict the Edmund Fitzgerald in a film made about her loss. Her name was changed for the filming on Lake Superior in late 1978 / early 1979. (The film was entitled “Shipwreck: The Mystery of the Edmund Fitzgerald”.)