ROYAL IRISH CONSTABULARY BALLINASLOE
There was a military Barracks in Ballinasloe from the early 18th Century. The barracks was off Society Street (Soldiers Row at the time). A cavalry barracks was set up in River Street in the very early 19th century and existed until at least the 1860s. The Military policed Ballinasloe until the arrival of The Royal Irish Constabulary. It is not known exactly when the Royal Irish Constabulary arrived in Ballinasloe but it appears that the Inspector General for the Connaught District was resident there in 1924.The Royal Irish Constabulary first used the military barracks in River Street before moving (pre 1846 and probably much earlier) to a barracks in Society Street.
Ballinasloe was the County Headquarters of Galway East Riding and covered Ballinasloe, Loughrea, Portumna, Athenry, Woodford and Mount Bellew together with all the sub-stations etc. of these areas.
The barracks in River Street is now gone but was in this area.